At 9:00 AM this morning (March 2, 2015), the Clark County District Attorney’s office will be conducting a “Police Fatality Public Fact Finding Review” for the murder of D’andre Berghardt Jr., who was shot to death by Bureau of Land Management (BLM) agents on February 14, 2014 after he asked passersby near Red Rock Canyon (just outside Las Vegas) for water and some of them called to report that he may need assistance. Those BLM agents, along with a Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper, subsequently showed up and instead of offering assistance (or simply leaving him alone if he refused assistance), began to antagonize, pepper spray, taze, and beat Berghardt.
Not surprisingly, Berghardt attempted to get away from the people that were assaulting him and tried unsuccessfully to get into several nearby cars. Unfortunately, when he did finally find a vehicle that he could get into, it ended up being NHP Trooper Lucas Schwarzrock’s SUV. That prompted the two (unnamed) BLM agents to shoot and kill Berghardt, presumably because they were afraid that he would use the rifle that was locked up (according to the BLM’s own official statement) inside the trooper’s passenger seat.
Although a video (which is embedded below), taken by two people that witnessed the incident from their car while stopped on the road, surfaced within a few days of the shooting, there actually should be another video that would show a much better view of what happened that day. Unlike the LVMPD and other Las Vegas area police, Nevada Highway Patrol vehicles have dash cams. That video has never been released, nor has any explanation ever been offered for it not being released. It’ll be interesting to see if that will be included in the presentation or, at the very least, if some sort of excuse for it’s lack of availability will be given.
In spite of it’s Orwellian name, the “Police Fatality Public Fact Finding Review” is, in reality, designed to do anything but provide facts to the public. It was created after the LVMPD and Police Protective Association were unable to have reforms to the old Coroner’s Inquest overturned via lawsuits. The much maligned original Coroner’s Inquest had functioned as a rubber stamp process of automatically justifying police shootings for about 40 years. In spite of the proposed reforms standing up to those legal challenges and being declared constitutional by the Nevada Supreme Court, the entire process was scrapped in favor of this newer version that is even worse and less transparent than the Coroner’s Inquests had ever been.
Basically, the new method of rubber stamping police shootings consists of the District Attorney declaring (every single time) that the killing was justified, then having someone present to the public the police version of events without any cross examination, witness testimony, presentation of evidence, or impartial representation. It essentially is designed in order to facilitate an official, institutionalized coverup, with very little opportunity for the public to question the official story they are being fed. You couldn’t ask for a much better opportunity to hide the truth and bury facts while advancing the official narrative. Nor could you more effectively sow mistrust and hostility within the communities that are effected by these killings, which historically have never resulted in any sort of accountability, regardless of how questionable they have been and whether the victims of the LVMPD’s trigger happy cops were completely innocent and/or unarmed.
Details for Police Fatality Review of D’Andre Berghardt Jr. Murder:
The Police Fatality Public Fact-finding Review into the February 2014 death of D’Andre Berghardt Jr. will be held Monday, March 2, at 9 a.m. in the Clark County Government Center Commission Chambers at 500 S. Grand Central Parkway in downtown Las Vegas. The review will be aired live on Clark County Television (CCTV) and streamed over the County Internet site at www.ClarkCountyNV.gov.
According to reports, Berghardt was shot and killed during a confrontation with law enforcement officers on state Route 159 near the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area.
The review of this incident will be presided over by Hearing Officer Chip Siegel. Mark Bailus will serve as ombudsman for the review. Both are longtime criminal defense attorneys in the community. Presiding officers and ombudsmen are selected by the county manager from lists approved by the County Commission. The ombudsman represents the public and the deceased’s family in this fact-finding review.
Chief Deputy District Attorney Michael Staudaher will represent the District Attorney’s Office in this proceeding.
- Kirstin Blaise Lobato Freed After 15 Years in Prison for Las Vegas Murder Prosecutors Knew She Couldn’t Have Committed
- Excessive Force Suit Filed After Philadelphia Sheriff’s Deputies Tackled Pennsylvania Bar Association President
- Head of LVMPD Internal Affairs Ordered to Answer Perjury/Withholding Evidence Charges in Court
- Boulder City (NV) Police “Employee of the Year” Commits Perjury to Arrest Man Interfering With Revenue Generation
- Full Waco Twin Peaks Biker Shooting Videos; Witness Statement Made Public
- Know Your Rights Seminar At Las Vegas “Rally For Your Rights”
- Waco, TX; Twin Peaks Shootings Arrests – June 10th Call Flood
- Las Vegas Judge Continues Bizarre, Out of Control Behavior; Throws Family of Murder Victims Out of Court; Threatens to Arrest Reporter
- Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs Found Not Guilty in 5th Amendment Right to Counsel Case
- Stanley Cohen Murder Conviction Questioned After Main Witnesses Retract Testimony
- LA Supreme Court: It’s Reasonable to Believe “Give Me a Lawyer Dog” was Request for a Dog Who is a Lawyer
- San Diego Cop Who Committed Perjury Exposed by His Own Body Cam Video
- Former Albuquerque DA Calls APD a Criminal Enterprise Admits She Refused to Charge Cops
- Federal Judge Rules FBI Illegally Defies Freedom Of Information Act
- Nevada CopBlock Founder Arrested While Filming Las Vegas Metro Police
- Until Cops Stop Killing “Civilians,” Every Uniformed Police Officer in America is in Danger
- Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs: “Stand Up and Tell the Truth” – Why #PoliceLiesMatter
- Police Lineups, False Identifications, And Wrongful Convictions
- Former Las Vegas County Commissioner Tom Collins Arrested for DUI
- “Beatrice 6,” Seek to Garnish Wages, Seize Property of Officers Involved in False Murder Convictions
- NYPD Costs Taxpayers Over $66 Million Dollars After Six People Wrongfully Imprisoned For Murder
- 2015 Was a Record Year For Exonerations of Wrongfully Convicted Prisoners
- Severe Flaws in “Justice System” Highlighted by Disciplinary Hearing of Former Wake County NC Prosecutor
- TX Cop Found Passed Out Drunk in Middle of Road in Truck “Punished” with Five Day Suspension; Will Remain Police Officer
- Cop’s Lies Sent 14 Year Old to Prison for 9 Years, Even Though Real Killer Confessed Weeks After Sentencing
- Denver Police Sued by Man Coerced Into Murder Confession at Age of Fourteen
- Innocent Man Framed For Murder by LVMPD Detectives and Las Vegas Prosecutors Freed After 22 Years in Prison
- False Imprisonment: Its Increasing Frequency and the Huge Cost It Imposes on Society
- Erik Scott’s Murder: What Happens in the LVMPD, Stays in the LVMPD
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights Seminar Video by Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- “What Happened in Vegas” Didn’t Stay in Las Vegas; Police Brutality Documentary Premiers at Cinequest
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- Yes, All Cops ARE Bastards; How and Why Modern Policing Discourages Moral Responsibility
- Don’t Call the Pigs: An Informal Guide to Alternative Policing Within an Anarchist Justice System
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Las Vegas, NV Police (and Security/BLM) Brutality Video Compilation #2
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power
Kelly is a lifelong resident of Las Vegas, who’s been very active in local grassroots activism, as well as on a national level during his extensive travels. He’s also the founder/main contributor of Nevada Cop Block, served as editor/contributor at CopBlock.org and designed the Official Cop Block Press Passes.
Connect with Kelly at these social networks; Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.