On this episode of the ACAB Radio Las Vegas Podcast, hosts King Ron Mecklosky, Joey Lankowski, and Kelly W. Patterson discussed the April 5th shooting of Junior Lopez by Officers Rivera and Mills of the LVMPD in Downtown Las Vegas. As part of that discussion, we went over some of the inconsistencies within the body camera footage subsequently released by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. It was also pointed out that inconsistencies by the LVMPD after shootings are not a new or rare development.
In addition, we discussed claims Lopez’ family have made that the audio on those bodycam videos was edited, as well as a case in which there is proof that audio was in fact edited by the Boulder City Police Department on a dashcam video. Also, the way Metro misrepresented what happened during the traffic stop in which Lopez was shot at their press conference and within the YouTube description was pointed out.
After that, we discussed the sentence CopBlock Network Co-Founder Ademo Freeman recently recieved in Ohio on Marijuana-related charges. An article written by Deo Odolecki, which was reposted to the Nevada Cop Block (NVCopBlock.org) site, makes the point that Ohio is a state that recognizes the medical use of cannabis and Ademo is a registered Medical Marijuana patient and therefore logically should be able to use marijuana for that purpose, even if he’s registered in a different state (Colorado). Regardless of that argument though, the reality is that it’s silly that anyone should spend even one minute in a cage over something as harmless as pot. The real solution would be to END Marijuana Prohibitions altogether and the prosecution of victimless crimes via the War On Drugs.
Note: If you have videos, stories, upcoming events/protests, or personal interactions with the police (and/or “justice” system) that you would like to share, send them to us and we will do everything we can to bring it to the attention of the world. In addition, you can visit the Nevada Cop Block resources section for information and links to the rights of citizens when dealing with police, during which you should always be filming.
There was also some discussion of controversial police tactics and their tendency to side with, if not actively support, white supremacists and outright neo-nazi groups during protests. One example of this was a recent incident in Georgia in which people protesting against a white supremacist march were arrested for the “crime” of wearing Guy Fawkes Masks.
There was also a report of an incident in which some members of Nevada Chalk Block stumbled upon a rather extensive graffiti crime scene in which chalk was used to write some sort of coded messages on the sidewalks of a local school. There was also evidence of people (presumably the same perpetrators) having committed hopscotch without a permit. Fortunately, all of this dangerous criminal behavior was documented with photographs so that #LtMikeWallace, the #LVMPD’s graffiti expert, can launch an investigation and nip it in the bud before it gets any more out of hand.
ACAB Radio Las Vegas Podcast
The ACAB Radio Las Vegas podcast (Click here for the ACAB Radio Youtube Playlist) is a collaboration between Nevada Cop Block (NVCopBlock.org) and Food Not Bombs Las Vegas (FoodNotBombsLasVegas.org). ACAB Radio is recorded live (before a studio audience), every Tuesday afternoon in Downtown Las Vegas (AKA the #DTLV).
Currently, there are several ways the show can be viewed and/or listened to:
- As it happens, via Facebook Live
- On iTunes
- On YouTube (Embedded below)
- As an audio file, via the Libsyn podcast hosting service (Player embedded above)
- Video: Eyewitness and Fiance of Junior Lopez Discusses His Murder by LVMPD Officers
- Junior Lopez: Body Camera Video and Witness Statements Lead to Questions in Latest Shooting by LVMPD
- Victims’ Families Speak About Impact of Police Violence During Las Vegas May Day Rally and March
- ACAB Radio Las Vegas Podcast Episode #3: Guest Nissa Tzun
- ACAB Radio Las Vegas Podcast Episode #2: Coffee With a Cop
- ACAB Radio: Las Vegas Cops Shoot a Man “Armed” with a Plastic Stick; Change Official Story Again
- “ACAB Radio” New Podcast Collaboration Between Nevada Cop Block and Food Not Bombs Las Vegas Debuts
- Fired LVMPD Cop Derek Colling’s Body Cam “Stopped Recording” Before Shooting of Robbie Ramirez
- Homeless Helpers Ticketed in Las Vegas – Police Agencies Declare War On Good Samaritans
- Grand Jury Used to Drop Charges Against LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera for Tashii Brown’s Murder
- Q&A with Community-Building Activists Tom Zebra & Kelly Patterson
- Yes, All Cops ARE Bastards; How and Why Modern Policing Discourages Moral Responsibility
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights Seminar Video by Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- “What Happened in Vegas” Didn’t Stay in Las Vegas; Police Brutality Documentary Premiers at Cinequest
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- Don’t Call the Pigs: An Informal Guide to Alternative Policing Within an Anarchist Justice System
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power
Kelly is a lifelong resident of Las Vegas, who’s been very active in local grassroots activism, as well as on a national level during his extensive travels. He’s also the founder/main contributor of Nevada Cop Block, served as editor/contributor at CopBlock.org and designed the Official Cop Block Press Passes.
Connect with Kelly at these social networks; Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.