Note: This post was shared with Nevada Cop Block by Patti Bascom, via our reader submission page. If you have videos, stories, upcoming events/protests, or personal interactions with the police (and/or “justice” system) that you would like to share, send them to us and we will do everything we can to bring it to the attention of the world. In addition, you can visit the Nevada Cop Block resources section for information and links to the rights of citizens when dealing with police, during which you should always be filming.
The following post details a pattern of harassing behavior and physical assaults that Bascom states stem from the fact that she is related to a former LVMPD officer named Ronnie Mortensen. In 1997, Mortensen was convicted of murder and sentenced to life without parole in a case revolving around a drive by shooting after he and another former cop named Chris Brady had spent a night drinking and then driving around harassing local residents within several poor neighborhoods.
That case was extremely controversial at the time, with many people believing that Brady was the actual shooter. It’s also believed by those who support Mortensen’s innocence that Brady’s father, a longtime Metro detective, used his influence within the LVMPD to point suspicion away from his son and toward Mortensen.
Specifically, Bascom maintains that the police have retaliated against her for her advocacy on the behalf of Mortensen, as well as the exposure of other crimes and acts of misconduct that she has uncovered while researching the actions of the LVMPD and attempting to prove Mortensen’s innocence.
According to Bascom, not only has everyone she has contacted refused to investigate her allegations, but in the process she has become a target of the corrupt police departments within the Las Vegas area. In addition, she has said that injuries to her neck displayed in an MRI below were the result of a retaliatory assault against her by police officers.
(The title under which this post was submitted, “What Happened in Henderson,” is of course a reference to the anti-police brutality documentary “What Happened in Vegas,” by Ramsey Denison. In spite of winning numerous awards at movie festivals around the country, “What Happened in Vegas” has only screened in Las Vegas theaters one time due to resistance and intimidation of local theaters by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department.)
Assaulted by Police in Henderson, NV.
I was brutally assaulted in my Henderson home by four police officers who did not disclose themselves as officers. They instead acted as a person needing help and in distress in an attempt to kill me. I am a family member of former LVMPD Officer Ronnie Mortensen who reported misconduct by Sgt. Chris Brady. They then framed him for murder on a drive by shooting against a Hispanic young man named Daniel Mendoza and said he was racist against Hispanics and that’s why he did it.
He did not do it, Chris Brady did, and now that I have been finding out a ton of corrupt shit this local gang ran by corrupt cops is doing. The Feds have been covering this up for over 20 years along with the LVMPD. During over 22 years of working to prove Ronnie’s innocence I have figured out what this gang of corrupt cops is doing.
As a result, they tried to kill me and no one here will do a damn thing about it. I have reported it to the DA Matt (a corrupt crooked man), the Henderson PD, the Justice Committee, Gov. Sandoval, Metro and not a thing has been done about it. However, if we did this to someone you and I would be in jail facing attempted murder charges.
I was in handcuffs when the beat down occurred that almost killed me. I was then refused medical attention for over 30 days while they all laughed at me and mocked me making fun of a 44 yr old woman, who is 5’4″ tall and weighs just 125 lbs. Still no accountability. Now they are beating police family and children. They have no boundaries.
It’s all disgusting and to this day these sick bastard gang members that are corrupt cops follow me and harass me everywhere I go. I’m terrified this gang of corrupt cops is going to come back to my house and kill me. I’m lucky to be alive! But can show up missing at anytime and if I do they did it. These corrupt cops are worse than the mob.
– Patti Bascom
Related Content on NVCopBlock.org:
- Nevada Medical Marijuana Patient Freed by Jury Nullification
- Kirstin Blaise Lobato Freed After 15 Years in Prison for Las Vegas Murder Prosecutors Knew She Couldn’t Have Committed
- LA Supreme Court: It’s Reasonable to Believe “Give Me a Lawyer Dog” was Request for a Dog Who is a Lawyer
- San Diego Cop Who Committed Perjury Exposed by His Own Body Cam Video
- Las Vegas Metro Police Illegally Search; Sexually Assault Innocent Man to Justify Bullshit Arrest
- Murder Charges Filed Against Former Las Vegas Cop After 1997 Rape Kit is Finally Processed Twenty Years Later
- Second Body Cam Video of Baltimore Police Planting Drugs Then “Finding” Them Has Surfaced
- Corrupt Virginia State Police Illegally Search Car Then Plant Drugs/False Evidence
- Innocent Man Framed For Murder by LVMPD Detectives and Las Vegas Prosecutors Freed After 22 Years in Prison
- LVMPD Budget Cuts: Finally, Minorities and Poor People Benefit from the Recession
- Case Against Cliven Bundy, Sons Ammon and Ryan, Dismissed Due to Prosecutorial Misconduct
- Severe Flaws in “Justice System” Highlighted by Disciplinary Hearing of Former Wake County NC Prosecutor
- False Imprisonment: Its Increasing Frequency and the Huge Cost It Imposes on Society
- “Beatrice 6,” Seek to Garnish Wages, Seize Property of Officers Involved in False Murder Convictions
- Boulder City Police Doctored Audio in Arrest Video Where They Were Already Caught Committing Perjury
- Harris County Sheriff’s Office Drops Drug Charges Against Texas Man After “Meth” Turns Out to be Cat Litter
- Police Lineups, False Identifications, And Wrongful Convictions
- Cop’s Lies Sent 14 Year Old to Prison for 9 Years, Even Though Real Killer Confessed Weeks After Sentencing
- NYPD Costs Taxpayers Over $66 Million Dollars After Six People Wrongfully Imprisoned For Murder
- 2015 Was a Record Year For Exonerations of Wrongfully Convicted Prisoners
- Prisons Can’t be Exonerated of Their Role in The Police State
- Idaho Police Continue to Pursue Punitive Prosecution of Cop Blocker Matthew Townsend
- Stanley Cohen Murder Conviction Questioned After Main Witnesses Retract Testimony
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights Seminar Video by Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- “What Happened in Vegas” Didn’t Stay in Las Vegas; Police Brutality Documentary Premiers at Cinequest
- Citizens Filming The Police Are Making It Easier For Review Boards To Get Rid of Bad Apples
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power
Kelly is a lifelong resident of Las Vegas, who’s been very active in local grassroots activism, as well as on a national level during his extensive travels. He’s also the founder/main contributor of Nevada Cop Block, served as editor/contributor at CopBlock.org and designed the Official Cop Block Press Passes.
Connect with Kelly at these social networks; Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.