The trial of North Charleston, SC Police Officer Michael Slager, who was caught on video murdering Walter Scott last year, began on Monday with jury selection. That jury has now been selected and after a request for a change of venue by Slager’s defense team was rejected, opening statements were scheduled to begin later today (Thursday).
(See Videos and Links to Related Posts on the CopBlock Network Below)
The fact that the jury consists of six white men and five white women with just one black man is an early question, being that Slager is white and Scott was black. The shooting has stirred controversy over race relations and police violence against minorities since the video taken by a bystander (unbeknownst to Slager) first emerged.
Beyond that, the obvious question is whether a jury will convict Slager even with the abundance and obviousness of the evidence against him. Jurors have a well documented bias toward police based on the social engineering that tells people from the moment they are born that police are heroes and more trustworthy than everyone else, in spite of evidence to the contrary. In addition, prosecutors often “throw the game,” intentionally slanting their performance in favor of the police officers that they work with and are dependent on in order to convict regular citizens.
Regardless of that, the aforementioned solidness of the evidence against Slager makes it hard to believe that he would be able to walk in this particular case. The graphic video that was taken by a random bystander clearly shows him shooting Walter Scott in the back as he is running away from him and posing no danger whatsoever. It also captured his attempt to plant a taser near Scott’s body to justify the murder.
It would be beyond outrageous if Michael Slager somehow manages to walk free in this case. What type of Policeman’s Discount he receives from the judge during sentencing might be another question, altogether.
- Officer Arrested After Video Proves He Murdered Suspect (Graphic Video)
- Killer Cops: How To Cover Up A Murder On Duty, As Presented By Michael Slager
- BREAKING NEWS: Michael Slager FIRED
- Killer Cops: Slager’s Dash Cam Footage Released
- Twelve Videos That Show The Difference Between What Cops Said And What Actually Happened
- Michael Slager Declared “An Unreasonable Danger to the Community,” Denied Bail
- Should We Really Be Congratulating Police for Not Killing Us?
- Michael Slager is Attempting to Get Out on Bail Again (Plus Recent Related Developments)
- Why Many Americans Don’t Trust Police Anymore, in Seven Videos
- Company To Introduce Police Brutality Themed Liquor ‘Slagermeister’
- Most Egregious Police Killings Caught on Video in 2015
- Michael Slager, the Last Killer Cop Behind Bars, Free on $500,000 Bond
- Michael Slager Now Also Facing Federal Charges And Potentially Death Penalty
- Walter Scott’s Family Receives $6.5 Million Settlement; Plans to Donate Portion to Charity
Kelly is a lifelong resident of Las Vegas, who’s been very active in local grassroots activism, as well as on a national level during his extensive travels. He’s also the founder/main contributor of Nevada Cop Block, served as editor/contributor at CopBlock.org and designed the Official Cop Block Press Passes.
Connect with Kelly at these social networks; Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.