Note: If you have videos, stories, upcoming events/protests, or personal interactions with the police (and/or “justice” system) that you would like to share, send them to us and we will do everything we can to bring it to the attention of the world. In addition, you can visit the Nevada Cop Block resources section for information and links to the rights of citizens when dealing with police, during which you should always be filming.
Newly released information reveals that two cops from Georgia recently lost their jobs after making racist posts, in which they joked and even bragged about targeting black drivers. Deputy Brant Gaither was fired on July 25th and Deputy Jeremy Owens was forced to resign on July 26th.
Both had worked for the McIntosh County Sheriff’s Department. They also both worked on a special unit of Road Pirates that was assigned to generate revenue in the area between Savannah and Brunswick on Interstate 95.
They often commented back and forth on Facebook posts using language that was sexist and also derogatory toward black people. The messages also referenced intentionally targeting black drivers for traffic stops.
According to records obtained by the Atlantic Journal-Constitution, the officers referred to African Americans as “N*ggs” and “colored people.”
One message featured an image of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., underneath the two men denigrated King’s famous “I have a dream speech.”
- “I have a dream. That one day my people will not act like animals,” posted Gaither.
- “Lol. That’ll never happen,” replied Jeremy Owens.
There was also an exchange in which the men made light of domestic violence against women, and in another, the men shared an offensive joke about fried chicken and a black pregnancy test.
But, perhaps the most disturbing message made reference to their patrols on the highway and seemed to suggest that the men targeted African American motorists. Owens said:
- “It’s supposed to rain tomorrow. Might not get too many niggs.”
- “I hope we get a few but (expletive) if we don’t,” Gaither responded.
The Southern Center for Human Rights believes this case could be indicative of a much larger cultural problem within the department. The sent a lawyer to the county in September to investigate both the deputies and their former employer.
According to Sarah Geraghty, the center’s managing attorning (sic) for impacting litigation, the non-profit firm is in the process of preparing a formal request for the U.S. Department of Justice to open an investigation.
- “This case goes deeper than two officers caught using racist language on their personal social media pages,” Geraghty said. “The messages reference an explicit intent by these law enforcement officials to ‘get’ black motorists. Our investigation to date suggests that this may be the tip of the iceberg.”
According to Sheriff Stephen D. Jessup, the racist posts were uncovered in July when another deputy was issued Owens’ old computer, which still contained access to his Facebook account.
Reportedly, once Deputy Gaither learned that he was going to be fired, he admitted it and stated: “It was just a joke, we all do it.” Whether that was some sort of Freudian Slip or Gaither actually meant consciously to acknowledge that “all” cops make racist jokes and target black drivers is a bit speculative at this point.
Related Content on NVCopBlock.org:
- When Current Police Behavior was Predicted by “Ridiculous Satire”
- “Black Guns Matter” – Group Focuses on Educating Inner City Residents About Guns and Conflict Resolution
- It’s Officially Within Philadelphia Police Department Policy to be a Nazi
- “OpKKK” – Anonymous Unmasked Klan Members by Friending “Blue Lives Matter” Supporters on Facebook
- Racist Newark Police Lieutenant Compares Black Mayor to Monkey
- Corruption and Racist Police Abuse of the Elderly in Lebanon, PA
- Racist, Drunk, Half-Naked Texas Cop Shoots At Church in Residential Neighborhood; Faces No Charges As A Result
- Update: Half Naked, Drunk Texas Cop Who Fired Gun at Church Let Off With Probation
- The New Jersey State Police: A Tradition of Brutality, Corruption, and Racism
- Was The Notorious Louisiana “KKK” Cop Really Set Up For Reporting Police Corruption?
- Detroit Cop Complains In Racist Facebook Rant That Cameras Prevent Police From Abusing Citizens
- IL Police Assault Innocent, Cooperative Man After Racist Woman Reports He Stole His Own Car
- Tashii Brown Protest: Woman is Attacked by Racist Man With Knife, LVMPD Arrests Those Defending Her
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Are You Required To Show ID or Answer Questions To Police Or Government Agents Upon Demand?
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- Don’t Call the Pigs: An Informal Guide to Alternative Policing Within an Anarchist Justice System
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power
Kelly is a lifelong resident of Las Vegas, who’s been very active in local grassroots activism, as well as on a national level during his extensive travels. He’s also the founder/main contributor of Nevada Cop Block, served as editor/contributor at CopBlock.org and designed the Official Cop Block Press Passes.
Connect with Kelly at these social networks; Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.