Earlier this week, Officer Jeffrey Lynn Harper of Las Vegas was charged with several crimes related to burning a “four-wheeler” and trailer in an attempt to collect money from the insurance policies covering the vehicles.
Officer Harper, who is described as a “decorated veteran” of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, had left the trailer, with the ATV inside, on a state highway outside of Pahrump, which is just outside of Las Vegas.
His lawyer maintains that he didn’t set the fire, but had gotten a flat on the trailer and went into Pahrump to get it repaired. According to the lawyer, he came back to find firefighters extinguishing the trailer.
Note: If you have videos, stories, upcoming events/protests, or personal interactions with the police (and/or “justice” system) that you would like to share, send them to us and we will do everything we can to bring it to the attention of the world. In addition, you can visit the Nevada Cop Block resources section for information and links to the rights of citizens when dealing with police, during which you should always be filming.
However, investigators with the Clark County Fire Department determined that the LVMPD K-9 officer had actually set the fire himself.
Via the Las Vegas Review Journal:
A decorated veteran Metro officer is facing several felonies after authorities said he set fire to a trailer and four-wheeler in order to collect insurance money, according to the Nevada attorney general’s office.
Jeffrey Lynn Harper, 38, was charged with one count of theft, one count of burning of property with intent to defraud an insurer, one count of attempted theft, two counts of insurance fraud, and one count of third-degree arson.
Fire officials determined that Harper set fire to his $45,000 2014 Keystone Fuzion “toy hauler” in January while his $6,000 2015 Razor 90 four-wheeler was inside, according to prosecutors.
“My office is committed to safeguarding the integrity of the insurance system and protecting Nevada’s consumers from increased premiums,” Attorney General Adam Laxalt said in a news release. “This attempt to defraud an insurance company is particularly troubling because it was allegedly committed by a person tasked with enforcing laws and protecting the public.”
That is pretty troubling, even though we all know the part about the police “protecting and serving” is generally a farce anyway. Not particularly surprising or even all that unique, but troubling nonetheless.
Posts Related to the LVMPD
- Las Vegas Cop Faces Federal Civil Rights Charges Over Beating of Woman For Littering
- Update: Woman Beaten by LVMPD Officer For Littering Has Filed Civil Rights Lawsuit
- LVMPD Sued By Man Shown on Video Being Attacked by Police at Hard Rock Casino
- LVMPD Officer James Burt Charged With Domestic Battery And Kidnapping (Again)
- LVMPD Beat a Man for “Not Moving Fast Enough”
- Oregon Cop Throws Handcuffed Man Head First Into Concrete Wall on Video; Receives Probation
- Excessive Force Suit Filed After Philadelphia Sheriff’s Deputies Tackled Pennsylvania Bar Association President
- Off Duty NYPD Cop Killed in Hit and Run Accident was Threatening Woman With His Gun
- Tashii Brown’s Mother Calls For Murder Charge Against Las Vegas Cop At “What Happened in Vegas” Screening
- “What Happened in Vegas” Documentary; LVMPD Racial Profiling, False Arrest Case Featured on Las Vegas’ Local ABC Station
- LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera Only Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter For Murder of Tashii Brown
- Tashii Brown Protest: Woman is Attacked by Racist Man With Knife, LVMPD Arrests Those Defending Her
- Tashii Brown-Farmer Asked For Help; LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera Tased And Choked Him To Death Instead
- Kirstin Blaise Lobato Freed After 15 Years in Prison for Las Vegas Murder Prosecutors Knew She Couldn’t Have Committed
- Las Vegas Police Jailed Paraplegic for Two Weeks; Accused Him of Robbery Where Suspect Ran Away
- “What Happened in Vegas” Isn’t Staying in Las Vegas; Documentary on Police Brutality Premiers at Cinequest
- Nevada CopBlock Founder Arrested While Filming Las Vegas Metro Police
- Lt. Brian Filipiak, “Superdrunk” Michigan Cop Who Insisted on Being “Just Let Go,” Let Off With Probation
- Topless Femen USA Activists Assaulted/Arrested at Counter-Protest of San Francisco Anti-Abortion Rally (NSFW Video)
- Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs: “Stand Up and Tell the Truth” – Why #PoliceLiesMatter
- Bill Scott Testimony in Support of NV Bodycam Bill: “My Son Erik Might Be Alive Today…” (Video)
- Jesus Arevalo, the LVMPD Cop Who Murdered Stanley Gibson, Ends Up in Jail (For 10 Days)
- Death Threats Received After Interview of Erik Scott’s Father
- Two Georgia Cops Fired After Making Racist Facebook Posts Bragging About Targeting Black Drivers
- Philadelphia Cop Who Robbed Contractor of $38 Given Plea Deal; Sentenced to Probation
- An Open Letter to LVMPD Sheriff Doug Gillespie From Stanley Gibson’s Widow
- Justice for Stanley Gibson or Just an End-Around Coroner’s Inquest Reforms?
- Will There Ever Be Justice? by Rondha Gibson
- Erik Scott’s Murder: What Happens in the LVMPD, Stays in the LVMPD
- Trevon Cole Murdered by LVMPD Officer Bryan Yant During Drug Raid
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights Seminar Video by Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- “What Happened in Vegas” Didn’t Stay in Las Vegas; Police Brutality Documentary Premiers at Cinequest
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- Don’t Call the Pigs: An Informal Guide to Alternative Policing Within an Anarchist Justice System
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power
Kelly is a lifelong resident of Las Vegas, who’s been very active in local grassroots activism, as well as on a national level during his extensive travels. He’s also the founder/main contributor of Nevada Cop Block, served as editor/contributor at CopBlock.org and designed the Official Cop Block Press Passes.
Connect with Kelly at these social networks; Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.