This week, the Las Vegas Review Journal wrote about a new report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which outlined the “most distinctive” cause of death for each of the 50 states. Something that’s not a giant shock to anyone living in Las Vegas and especially those who have watched and dealt with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (and other Las Vegas area police departments) over the years, was that “run ins with police” was declared the most distinctive cause of death for those living in Nevada. (I’ll let you make that joke about the police being officially classified as a disease.)
Note: If you have videos, stories, upcoming events/protests, or personal interactions with the police (and/or “justice” system) that you would like to share, send them to us and we will do everything we can to bring it to the attention of the world. In addition, you can visit the Nevada Cop Block resources section for information and links to the rights of citizens when dealing with police, during which you should always be filming.
From the LVRJ article:
Nevada’s most distinctive cause of death — though not its most frequent — isn’t a disease.
It’s encounters with law enforcement, according to a new state-by-state report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Encounters with law enforcement in this case does not include executions.
The study maps out how geography factors into the prevalence of rare killers. For 22 states, the total number of these types of deaths was under 100.
The Silver State falls into that group, with deaths by so-called legal intervention at 82, a rate 2.8 times the national average, said Francis Boscoe of the New York State Cancer Registry and the lead researcher in the study.
Researchers couldn’t identify a clear reason why death by legal intervention garnered the most distinction in Nevada as well as New Mexico and Oregon.
Since it’s actually not real clear in the original article, the criteria for “most distinctive cause of death” needs to be explained a bit. As stated in the first paragraph, the most distinctive cause of death isn’t the most frequent cause of death. What it actually represents is the cause of death for which a state ranks highest compared to the rest of the country. So, in essence, it means your state excels in a certain specific way of dying, when compared to the nation at large. In Nevada’s case, summary executions by police happen at almost three times the rate of the rest of the United States. Interestingly enough, these stats for deaths that are preceded by the arrival of a cop don’t actually include executions involving a judge and jury. I don’t doubt that brought Texas’ ranking down in a big way. (You saw what I did there.)
As far as those CDC researchers not being able to identify the reason why coming into contact with a cop is especially dangerous in Nevada, they should come with me some time and talk to some of the people living in Las Vegas, especially those in poor and/or minority neighborhoods. The heavy-handed and violent tactics of the police, along with their shoot first mentalities, utter lack of accountability, and retaliatory practices toward anyone that tries to hold them accountable all play a part in the “distinctive” level of danger interacting with Las Vegas area cops represents. In fact, in a city that not only encourages, but often glorifies unhealthy habits, such as smoking and excess drinking, it takes a lot to distinguish yourself as an accomplished killer. As people here are all too familiar though, the LVMPD has a long history of striving to be the most distinctive in that regard.
“Las Vegas Police (and Security, BLM) Brutality Compilation via Jason Nellis at “The World as seen by Jazoof.”
Posts Related to LVMPD Police Brutality
- Las Vegas Cop Faces Federal Civil Rights Charges Over Beating of Woman For Littering
- Update: Woman Beaten by LVMPD Officer For Littering Has Filed Civil Rights Lawsuit
- LVMPD Sued By Man Shown on Video Being Attacked by Police at Hard Rock Casino
- LVMPD Officer James Burt Charged With Domestic Battery And Kidnapping (Again)
- LVMPD Beat a Man for “Not Moving Fast Enough”
- Oregon Cop Throws Handcuffed Man Head First Into Concrete Wall on Video; Receives Probation
- Excessive Force Suit Filed After Philadelphia Sheriff’s Deputies Tackled Pennsylvania Bar Association President
- Off Duty NYPD Cop Killed in Hit and Run Accident was Threatening Woman With His Gun
- Tashii Brown’s Mother Calls For Murder Charge Against Las Vegas Cop At “What Happened in Vegas” Screening
- “What Happened in Vegas” Documentary; LVMPD Racial Profiling, False Arrest Case Featured on Las Vegas’ Local ABC Station
- LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera Only Charged With Involuntary Manslaughter For Murder of Tashii Brown
- Tashii Brown Protest: Woman is Attacked by Racist Man With Knife, LVMPD Arrests Those Defending Her
- Tashii Brown-Farmer Asked For Help; LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera Tased And Choked Him To Death Instead
- Kirstin Blaise Lobato Freed After 15 Years in Prison for Las Vegas Murder Prosecutors Knew She Couldn’t Have Committed
- Las Vegas Police Jailed Paraplegic for Two Weeks; Accused Him of Robbery Where Suspect Ran Away
- “What Happened in Vegas” Isn’t Staying in Las Vegas; Documentary on Police Brutality Premiers at Cinequest
- Nevada CopBlock Founder Arrested While Filming Las Vegas Metro Police
- Lt. Brian Filipiak, “Superdrunk” Michigan Cop Who Insisted on Being “Just Let Go,” Let Off With Probation
- Topless Femen USA Activists Assaulted/Arrested at Counter-Protest of San Francisco Anti-Abortion Rally (NSFW Video)
- Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs: “Stand Up and Tell the Truth” – Why #PoliceLiesMatter
- Bill Scott Testimony in Support of NV Bodycam Bill: “My Son Erik Might Be Alive Today…” (Video)
- Jesus Arevalo, the LVMPD Cop Who Murdered Stanley Gibson, Ends Up in Jail (For 10 Days)
- Death Threats Received After Interview of Erik Scott’s Father
- Two Georgia Cops Fired After Making Racist Facebook Posts Bragging About Targeting Black Drivers
- Philadelphia Cop Who Robbed Contractor of $38 Given Plea Deal; Sentenced to Probation
- An Open Letter to LVMPD Sheriff Doug Gillespie From Stanley Gibson’s Widow
- Justice for Stanley Gibson or Just an End-Around Coroner’s Inquest Reforms?
- Will There Ever Be Justice? by Rondha Gibson
- Erik Scott’s Murder: What Happens in the LVMPD, Stays in the LVMPD
- Trevon Cole Murdered by LVMPD Officer Bryan Yant During Drug Raid
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights Seminar Video by Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- “What Happened in Vegas” Didn’t Stay in Las Vegas; Police Brutality Documentary Premiers at Cinequest
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- Don’t Call the Pigs: An Informal Guide to Alternative Policing Within an Anarchist Justice System
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power
Kelly is a lifelong resident of Las Vegas, who’s been very active in local grassroots activism, as well as on a national level during his extensive travels. He’s also the founder/main contributor of Nevada Cop Block, served as editor/contributor at CopBlock.org and designed the Official Cop Block Press Passes.
Connect with Kelly at these social networks; Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
….well, you could have been Louisiana.
I have to go there in about a month. There goes my plans for any nightlife.
I’ve been to Shreveport a few times, highways are fucking nuts, not as bad as Cali.
Lake Charles and NOLA is your heaven, in Louisiana. Unfortunately, you wont find better accommodations.
I grew up in Lake Charles (Moss Bluff) some of my best memories. What is NOLA? I need some Baudouin.
Louisiana has some of the best night life in the world, just use a designated driver. Some of the best food, prettiest girls and nicest people you will ever meet. Not to smart though, the state has been last in almost every category for ages and they still vote Republican, one of the poorest states. Oil rich at that, all profits go to the rich if you vote Republican, they must not like money.
I am willing to bet that number is high in ALL the states.
Never trust police.
This needs to happen more when the public see violent abusive police…..
Other countries don’t have news channels scaring the public 24 hours a day. Heck everyday online, I see a lot of Americans FOR the beatings, calling everyone arrested thugs.
Most are piece of shit thugs….BUT, that still don’t make what the police do right.
That piece of shit thug that got choked to death more than likely deserved it, BUT not by police following policy.
That kid in Cleveland that got killed by the police for playing with a toy gun might have grown up to be a piece of shit thug using a real gun…BUT playing with a toy does not warrant being killed by police.
That grandma that got face planted into the pavement by an officer might have been called a thug cause she’s black….BUT, asshole cops always use a sledge hammer when a fly swatter would work.
That video shows a crowd….large crowd not liking what they see and beating on those who were violently and undeservingly beating a person just for making a scene at a soccer game.
Never trust police.
Never trust police.
Nowhere does it say law enforcement is a “distinctive” cause of death. You like to take stories and twist them around.
Except that’s exactly what the article says, as well as the CDC map it refers to. You’re either illiterate, or an imbecilic liar. I’m going with imbecilic liar since that’s what you demonstrate here on near-daily basis.
I want to just sing all day I feel so good after spending the night with you. You are the fag delight and I think you are the best. I love you and hope to see you tonight. P.S. don’t let t know he will be very jealous.
does it hurt to be as stupid as you are? I mean it fills you, every time you open your mouth stupid falls out. Tic Toc motherfucker.
NV is joined by NM and OR.
Wow. What a stinking pile of horse crap that was.
That’s like saying AIDS doesn’t kill you. Sure it does. It weakens you so much that you can’t fight off orher deseases. Pneumonia killed you…but only because you had AIDS.
Or an 80 year old with cancer and congestive heart failure dies. Which killed him? Either or both. It’s not distinctive.
You need to first understand the topic and how the results are gathered and then….a really hard one for you….you need to present them in an honest way
What a stinking pile of horse crap you are. Proud of yourself moron?
who performs legal intervention you stupid fuck? intellectually dishonest to the end. going to be funny when somebody skins your children in front of you.
t hates statistics.
so this is why the Jews won’t eat pig.