Last week, it was announced that Lieutenant Tom Melton had been placed on administrative leave (AKA paid vacation) as the result of a criminal investigation. Melton is the commander of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department‘s SWAT team. He’s also been one of the public faces of the LVMPD, oftentimes being interviewed by local media and frequently providing briefings at crime scenes.
Initially, Metro declined to give any details about what the nature of that investigation was. However, soon after his suspension was announced a search of public records indicated that he has ties to a woman already facing over 200 charges of defrauding elderly people placed under her care. Lt. Melton had been appointed as legal guardian and trustee for Jerome and Beverly Flaherty, an elderly couple, who have since died. April Parks, the woman previously charged, was awarded co-guardianship of the Flahertys with Melton.
Note: If you have videos, stories, upcoming events/protests, or personal interactions with the police (and/or “justice” system) that you would like to share, send them to us and we will do everything we can to bring it to the attention of the world. In addition, you can visit the Nevada Cop Block resources section for information and links to the rights of citizens when dealing with police, during which you should always be filming.
In March, Parks was indicted on charges including perjury, racketeering, filing false records, theft and exploitation, as part of a for-profit professional guardianship service. Parks has been characterized as the “ringleader of a small group” that included her husband; Gary Neal Taylor, an attorney named Noel Palmer Simpson, and her office manager; Mark Simmons. All four have been accused of taking advantage of the guardianship system to exploit and defraud the people placed under their supervision.
After confirmation was received that Lt. Melton was in fact the focus of an investigation into exploitation of an elderly couple, his attorney denied that he was involved in the fraud. Instead, he maintains that he had only hired Parks to care for the couple, whom he describes as friends of Melton. No other details relating to the nature of the investigation into Lt. Melton’s involvement have been released by the LVMPD.
Of course, it very well could be that he had no involvement in the fraud Parks and her partners are accused of. However, the timing of the suspension could potentially indicate otherwise. The fact that the other people involved were indicted in March and Melton didn’t come under investigation until the end of July would seem to imply that there’s more to it. It’s also a bit contradictory that none of the family members of the hundreds of other victims Parks exploited appear to be under investigation.
- “Decorated” Las Vegas Cop Charged With Arson And Fraud After Burning His Own Vehicles
- Update: Woman Beaten by LVMPD Officer For Littering Has Filed Civil Rights Lawsuit
- Las Vegas SWAT Team Commander Under Investigation For Financial Exploitation of Elderly Couple
- Arkansas Police Chief that Arrested Man For Open Carry Burned His Own Truck; Stole From Department
- LVMPD Beat a Man for “Not Moving Fast Enough”
- Oregon Cop Throws Handcuffed Man Head First Into Concrete Wall on Video; Receives Probation
- Excessive Force Suit Filed After Philadelphia Sheriff’s Deputies Tackled Pennsylvania Bar Association President
- Off Duty NYPD Cop Killed in Hit and Run Accident was Threatening Woman With His Gun
- Florida Cop Who Tried to Murder 79 Year Old Woman Worked as Male Prostitute While On Duty
- Seven Baltimore Police Officers Arrested on Multiple Federal Charges in Racketeering Indictment
- Audit Shows Alabama Sheriff Embezzled Tax Funds For Private Use
- Nevada Court to Rule on Evidence Tampering in Arrest for Obstruction of Police Revenue Generation
- Tashii Brown-Farmer Asked For Help; LVMPD Officer Kenneth Lopera Tased And Choked Him To Death Instead
- Kirstin Blaise Lobato Freed After 15 Years in Prison for Las Vegas Murder Prosecutors Knew She Couldn’t Have Committed
- “What Happened in Vegas” Isn’t Staying in Las Vegas; Documentary on Police Brutality Premiers at Cinequest
- Nevada CopBlock Founder Arrested While Filming Las Vegas Metro Police
- Lt. Brian Filipiak, “Superdrunk” Michigan Cop Who Insisted on Being “Just Let Go,” Let Off With Probation
- Customs Officer Convicted of Stealing Over $65,000 Worth of Checks From International Mail
- Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs: “Stand Up and Tell the Truth” – Why #PoliceLiesMatter
- LV Constable John Bonaventura Ordered Cover-Up of Illegal Data Searches
- Missouri State Audits Show Potential Fraud by Wayne County Sheriff Dean Finch
- Investigation Opened Into Misconduct and Fraud by Wayne County Sheriff Dean Finch
- 15 Georgia Prison Guards Charged as Part of Massive Fraud and Money Laundering Scheme
- Two Georgia Cops Fired After Making Racist Facebook Posts Bragging About Targeting Black Drivers
- Former NYPD Sergeant Given Just Three Months in Jail After Committing $600,000 Social Security Fraud
- Judge, Director of Public Safety, and Deputy Constable in Pennsylvania Arrested Laundering Drug Money
- At Least a Dozen New Jersey Cops Are Expected to be Arrested in Massive Payroll Fraud Scandal
- Iowa Police Chief Jeffrey Filloon Indicted For Selling Impounded Cars and Guns Stolen From Evidence
- “Justice” For The Wealthy, Law Enforcement For The Poor
- High Ranking NYPD Officials Arrested Amid Corruption And Bribery Probe
- Submit Your Own Story of Police Abuse/Corruption
- Help Wanted! How You Can Become Involved With NVCopBlock
- #FTP – How and Why You Should Always Film The Police
- Press Passes for Independent Media and Freelance Journalists
- How to File a Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) Request
- “Let Me See Your I.D.” Stop and Identify Statutes – Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights Seminar Video by Las Vegas Attorney Stephen Stubbs
- Beware of Gang Activity in Your Neighborhood!
- “What Happened in Vegas” Didn’t Stay in Las Vegas; Police Brutality Documentary Premiers at Cinequest
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The LVMPD’s Killer Reputation
- Don’t Call the Pigs: An Informal Guide to Alternative Policing Within an Anarchist Justice System
- A Video Compilation of Las Vegas Area Police Brutality
- Donate to the Cause – Help Us Help You Fight The Power